Community

now browsing by category

Poet Laureate Term Extended

The Selection Committee for the Poet Laureate of Silver City and Grant County unanimously agreed to offer Elise Stuart, our current Poet Laureate, a further year in the role. It was decided that the Selection Committee should instate a provision by which we can extend the Poet Laureate’s tenure to 3Read the Rest…

Shakespeare in April: 400 Years and Growing!

WNMU Writing Across the Curriculum announces a Once-in-400-Years Special Event! When: Friday, April 22, from 3 to 5 pm Where: Miller Library Lobby This program on April 22 celebrates the 400th anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare (1564-1616)–arguably the world’s greatest writer–with student performances, professional dramatic recitations, a shortRead the Rest…

Have You Tackled the NaNoWriMo Challenge?

The Silver City Public Library is hosting a “write-in” for National Novel Writing Month participants on Monday, November 30, 3:00-6:00pm. During National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo, writers worldwide challenge themselves to complete a 50,000-word first-draft novel. Participants can get support and learn more on the organization’s website,Read the Rest…

Festival Schedule Changes

Festival Schedule Changes Alfredo Corchado and Phil Connor switch places on the Festival Schedule. The posted schedule is correct. Also, there’s an additional Virus Theater performance Friday, October 2 7:30pm Webb Theater View the final Festival Schedule

Dear Ms. Becky

Author:  Sonnie Sussillo   The Southwest Festival of the Written Word, since its inception, has been present in the community to promote reading and writing as a fun and enriching experience for our  youth .  Sometimes this aspect of the Festival doesn’t get its just acknowledgment; we need to “right”Read the Rest…

Join the SWFWW Collaborative Electronic Literature Project

“Let’s be clear: animals are people too. I’m so tired of the uneven, speciesist treatment that folks hand out. Look, can’t we all just get along? Yes, I may be covered with bristles but I’m an attractive, normal javelina. Realizing this – as a writer – led me to createRead the Rest…

Take a Look at the 2015 Festival Schedule and the Presenters

We’ve posted the schedule for the 2015 Southwest Festival of the Written Word. Like everything in life, it’s subject to change, but it’s a pretty true representation of what will be offered up for your enjoyment on the first weekend in October.    So take a look and startRead the Rest…

Adult Summer Reading Program? Oh my!

AUTHOR:  LILLIAN GALLOWAY Summer reading for children and teens is a long-held tradition at the Silver City Public Library, but did you know that summer 2015 is the third time that the library is offering summer reading for adults? This is a great opportunity to readRead the Rest…

Grant County and SWFWW Deserve a Big GIVE GRANDLY! Success

AUTHOR:  MARY HOTVEDT Fundraising—and this blog is about that deadly subject—is up there in the top 3 of my least favorite things to do. The other two are lobbying on Capitol Hill and vacuuming. All three activities should be put off until they are absolutely necessary, and noRead the Rest…

Slammed at the Festival

Hakim Bellamy Jessica Helen Lopez     AUTHOR:  SONNIE SUSSILLO In 2013, the Southwest Festival of the Written Word (the Festival) paired two Poets Laureate on the stage together: our own Bonnie Buckley Maldonado, first Poet Laureate of Silver City, and a young man who writes and performs slamRead the Rest…

© 2017 Southwest Festival of the Written Word | Design Theme by: D5 Creation | Powered by: WordPress